Thursday, April 26, 2012

Reflection on Teaching

This past Friday, Neil and I taught a lesson on the origins and causes of World War I. The actual lesson planning was difficult, as I had to make a lesson plan fit for one teacher adapt into a two-part job. We also made last-second changes as different thoughts came to mind. My behavior plan was simple: humor. Turn every situation that could be seen as potentially disruptive into a funny little joke. I would rather lose a moment of the class' attention than 5 minutes berating one disruptive student. Also, humor keeps the class in the interested mindset, instead of scaring them into silence. The more kids are comfortable, the more they will respond. I would say the lesson plan kept everyone moving and interested, so the behaviors were small if any. The objective was to have the students realize that the war was not just started by a single assassination. I wanted them to understand how the alliances set before the war started set the tone for tension in Europe, and that the assassination was the first spark that ignited the war. My assessment, the closed-eyed quiz, worked. I could see, and more importantly the students could see, how much they had learned in that day. Also, during the assessment, the students had no fear in getting an answer wrong because no one could see their answers. My lesson plan did not go exactly as I planned, and I don't mind that. The game at the end could have been explained a little more, as sort of a role play. That's what I would've changed: just a brief visual introduction to the game instead of just expecting the kids to pick up on it. I think it went pretty well. The peer evaluations I received were mostly positive, saying that even those who didn't like History were entertained. It was a new spin on dusty information, and was received warmly throughout the class. They were hardly any misbehaviors, and the interest level was kept at a pretty high and constant pace. Like I said, I would have introduced the game a little more if I was to teach this lesson again; but other than that I believe that, in a real classroom, notes would have been taken in addition to the participation, and the kids would have gotten it.

6 comments:

  1. Joe, I enjoyed your lesson very much. I am not big in history but your lesson caught my attention. To be honest I learned more during your lesson about the powers than I think I ever learned in high school. Now I know which country belonged to each power. I also enjoyed the friends game. I am a big fan of friends. Great job, you will be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    I agree with Alma... you did a wonderful job. I truly enjoyed your lesson!

    You said, "My assessment, the closed-eyed quiz, worked. I could see, and more importantly the students could see, how much they had learned in that day. Also, during the assessment, the students had no fear in getting an answer wrong because no one could see their answers. "

    This assessment was amazing. I think it allowed students to review the information (and also laugh a little with the silly responses).

    Thank you for all you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    Your lesson was great! I really enjoyed how you and Neil worked as a team and allowed the students to poke fun at you during the activity. Your power point was very organized and the diagrams, maps, and political cartoons were a nice touch. Both you and Neil will be great teachers! Keep up the humor and the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,

    I particularly enjoyed your lesson. I felt that you and Neil executed your objectives well. The activity of the class divide was really great and proved to be an effective demonstration of the way the war began. Not only was your lesson creative, but the two of you knew your material and presented yourselves in a professional and collected manner. The students felt comfortable being in your class.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe,

    You are going to make an excellent history teacher. My history classes in high school were so dry and I really cannot even recall a single activity that we did. Your lesson met the needs of many different types of learners. I would say though for the activity in which we all had to hurl insults at one another and defend our allies, maybe you should have had a list of insults and comebacks that the students were limited to. Since high school students can be a little mean, without some limits that activity could get out of hand. However, I really loved your lesson! Great use of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From my past experiences i grew to hate history, however, i still like learning about it. You two did an excellent job with everything. You both worked well together and the environment was great. I loved almost every part of the lesson. the picture were awesome, and when you explained it, that was even better. I can still remember them the 2 teams of 3. One was yellow & other red and the picture of the guy on the other guy on the other guy etc. lol The group work was good...i can continue but overall Excellent Lesson!

    ReplyDelete